Saturday, August 11, 2012

Revelation Records 25TH


In honor of Revelation's 25th anniversary and the shows coming up at Irving Plaza, I'm going to list my top 25 Revelation releases. Revelation is sacred and peoples opinions on them are often extremely passionate so I'm sure some people are going to disagree. But for better or worse these are my top 25 in chronological order, not in order of my least favorite to my most but just by release date.
25. What more can you say about Warzone? The reason they started the label and went on to release so many classics. This is not only on of my favorite Rev releases but also one of my favorite Warzone joints.
24. Wow. One of the first 7inches i ever bought and one of the best. Start to finish a non-stop NYHC classic.
23. Gorilla Biscuits didn't release much, but everything they did was dope. This stands the test of time as a must have for anyone that loves Hardcore.
22. Great Hardcore from another band that never put out enough music.
21. I remember buying this on CD and having no ideal what it was about. I bought it because the cover had Black Flag bars and a Misfits logo on it. I put it on and the first song had me hooked.
20. This is the 7inch plus some other songs. This is one of the best comps of all time. Just get it.
19. Youth of Today have a lot of classic releases. Most would agree that this was the best.
18. One of my favorite bands of all time and this album stays on repeat a few times a month.
17. Another one of my favorite Hardcore releases. So many great songs.
16. The best Post-Hardcore band to ever do it. Fuck you if you think Fugazi is better.

15. Inside Out is known to some as Zach De La Rocha's first band. To Hardcore fans it is know as the band that created one of the most perfect recordings ever put on wax. A combination of progressive Hardcore and elements of Post-Hardcore that meld together to form a sound that can be found in many acts after them.
14. Supertouch sounds like Supertouch. Is there any better compliment you can pay to a Hardcore band than saying they sound like themselves and not 40 other bands?
13. BURN.
12. I discovered Farside later on in the game, way after they had released most of there material. Something about this band was different and cool. They had a 90s sound kind of reminiscent of Lifetime meets Embrace.
11.Born from the Ashes of Burn (pun intended), Orange 9mm were like a cooler version of all the Nu-Metal shit coming out.
10. This wasn't the first Ignite release i heard. Not by a long shot. I didn't get into Ignite until A Place Called Home but when i went back and listened to there entire catalog, this quickly became one of my favorites.
9. Besides the fact that this is a Rage EP, i love this record for another reason. I remember ordering it from Newberry Comics and it was my first 10. The reason i love this is that at the time this came out RATM had already blown up off there first album and still did something cool like releasing a vinyl only EP on Revelation.
8. One of my favorite bands, one of my favorite albums. One of those i own on vinyl, CD, tape and mp3. Classic youth crew style cover that was the standard thanks to Revelation.
7. I hadn't listened to this CD in a while and when i put it in the car a few months ago, i was instantly transported back to when i first heard it. This came out during a great time for Hardcore and Revelation releases.




6. Most people call this the best Shelter release. I agree.
5. In My Eyes was a great Hardcore band that was big when this came out and i feel like get slept on nowadays. Listen to this album and hear what they were doing back then that bands are still trying to pull off today.

 4. The Nerve Agents always drop hot albums and this is there quintessential release. Overall, they are just a sick band and a dope live show.
3. For anyone wondering why i skipped over all the Judge EPs and records, why differentiate as to what Judge releases were my favorites when they put all of them on one album. It's Judge; no further explanation needed.
2. If you grew up in Jersey like me, you had a special place for Mouthpiece. The production behind these songs was perfect and they were the band that managed to pay homage to the old school while still having a completely new and unique sound and take on the youth crew movement.
1. Bold has always been an amazing band and when this collection came out, everyone with a few represses or dubs rejoiced at being able to have it all in one place. Essential Hardcore.





















No comments:

Post a Comment